Sunday, August 5, 2007

From Fifth to First...( the most challenging event in my academic career)

During my third year in high school, I got this once in a lifetime opportunity to represent the Philippines in an International Symposium held in San Jose, Costa Rica. I grabbed the opportunity but I can’t serve two masters at the same time. My studies had to suffer so I’ll be able to prepare for the upcoming international symposium. We’re given three months to prepare. During the period of preparation, I wasn’t able to attend to my studies. I covered a total of 20 absences in school. I missed a lot of quizzes, exercises, recitations, projects, etc; even my candidacy for student council was also left behind. So definitely, I lost. Hehehe!!! I wen to school to take my monthly exams though I only have a little amount of information about the exams still I wasn’t confident that I would pass it. Fortunately, I passed the exams but I got low scores compared to what I usually get during exams. I got 70 out of 100, 60 and etc,. When I left the Philippines, I know that another challenge is waiting for me there. But what’s going on in my mind was when I get back I will take my periodical exams without anything in my head at all. I don’t know what will be my exam all about. And the hanging question was will I still have the same ranking as I do when I was in 2nd year? Definitely not!!! My stay in Costa Rica was also challenging. Everyday I got the chance to meet other people across the world, spend time with them and talk a little. But I know that once I stepped my foot in NAIA that will be the start of a bigger challenge in my life as far as my studies are concern. I have to copy the lectures I missed very fast to be ready for the upcoming periodical exams. Unfortunately, I still got low scores in my exams. Few weeks later, its card giving time and posting of honor roll. I was really afraid to look at the list because I know that I definitely lost my rank but how low did I go? When I looked at the list, it was mixed emotions. I was happy to see my name still on the list but sad to see it on the fifth slot. I was challenged by that event though my teachers were comforting me and telling me that I can still win the first slot and all I have to do is to do my best and really work hard for it. So, I promised to myself that I will see my name on top of others during the second card giving and posting of honor roll. When the second grading starts, I really tripled my effort. As much as possible, I tried to get a perfect score in my quizzes, exams and exercises. I participated in different school activities. I even stayed-up late just to review for the monthly and periodical exams and to finish my exams. But all those hard work paid off at the end. During the second card giving, it was really a nerve-rocking moment for me. I don’t have any idea if I made it on top again or not. When the honor roll was post, I was very happy to see my name on the no.1 spot: 1. LLANO III, MARCIAL A. Wooh! My hardships paid off. My co-honors were also happy for me as well as my teachers; they even told me “we told you, you can make it.” I triumphantly get over this challenging event of my life.

No comments: